Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Onions - better than ogres

For fans of the movie Shrek, you'll know that ogres are like onions (they have layers). And you'll also know that Shrek's pal, Donkey, would much prefer parfait layers to onion layers. But these days, I'm with Shrek; onions are just delicious.

Allodoxaphobia I don't have; I love onions in just about every form and variety. Cooked, raw, yellow, sweet, red, green. I also like them because you get a lot of flavor bang for your buck. Onions are typically inexpensive and can fill out a casserole, soup or meatloaf. But what about onions as the star attraction? Time for these wonders to take the spotlight, beyond the soup with the cheese and bread.

How about Sweet Onion Pie? True, cheddar and ham play a major supporting role here, but onions get top billing. Perhaps an Alsace Onion Tart, with bacon, cream and eggs would be better? Not exactly inexpensive. Ok, what about Sweet Onion Bread, using apple juice and ginger of all things? Maybe Sweet Onion Quesadillas would be more appealing. Me, I think I'm going with the Onion Muffuletta sandwich.

After all these onions, breath mints may be in order, but if you hang out with the right crowd, you can all be stinky together. Here's to having layers.

7 comments:

Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine had me carmelizing lots of onions this past weekend. It was great being her "kitchen bitch"

Miss Healthypants said...

The quesadillas would be my vote. (Naturally, since I grew up in Wisconsin! :))

Sling said...

A toasted cheese sandwich isn't complete without a crisp slice of red onion..Yumm!

Doralong said...

Onion tarts are the food of the gods..Altoids in the kitchen drawer are however helpful.

rosemary said...

I'm with sling. Steve? He'd put onions in his oatmeal if I let him.

Greyhound Girl said...

I've never been a fan of onions and never though onions could be in a dessert.

Lorraine said...

I think I'm going to have to try every one of those recipes. Love me some onions.