Monday, October 20, 2008

Reading, Righting and Arithmatic

Big decisions always seem to happen on weekends. Go figure. Over the weekend, I decided that the home schooling idea I've been considering finally needs to happen. NR, who has Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism), has been really struggling at school and it just isn't getting any better. But since he was starting a new (and better) school, I put the home school idea on hold and agreed to give them until October 20th (our conference date) to see if school could make it work. Unfortunately, it just isn't happening.

So, a new adventure begins - for all of us. I feel pretty comfortable with 3rd grade material but the trickier part will be getting his focus and keeping it. We're going to try some new ideas and abandon the school model of sitting in one place for hours at at time; it doesn't work there so why would it work at home? I think our day will be broken up into short segments and "teachable" moments as they come up. I'll have to learn all about documenting our work and quantifying what we are doing so we measure up to the state's standards, but I think this is something that we can do - at least for now.

Yep, a big adventure - as NR always says each morning "So, what kind of adventure are we going to have today?" Indeed, I hope this adventure will be righting some wrongs and helping him get back his sweet and loving disposition. Wish us luck; we'll be posting some stories from along the road.

6 comments:

rosemary said...

Oh bless you and your plan and patience.

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow!--that IS a big decision!

And I agree with Rosemary--bless you and your plan and patience.

Believe it or not, I used to think only "crazy" people home-schooled (i.e. indoctrinated) their kids. But then I got a new employee at work who was home-schooled--and she was absolutely brilliant, very kind, and a very hard worker.

It depends on the teacher, I think--and I'm sure you'll be an excellent one! :)

Speck said...

Gosh, what a life-changing decision! I hope it is All Good for both of you!

Forsythia said...

Can't wait for all the stories I'm sure are coming. No boy I know wants to sit still for very long.

Sling said...

Good luck to you on your wonderful adventure kimberly!

Anonymous said...

It's me again.:)
I just wanted to let you know that I also home schooled my boy for two years his 3rd and 4th grade year. He too has a mild form of Aspergers Syndrome and it hasn't always been easy. Those two years homeschooling definitely weren'y easy but I wouldn't change things for nothin'. Not only do I think that it was beneficial for him at the time but it was a growing up experience for me too. I learned so much in so many ways about so many things. He went back to public school in 5th grade and did struggle a bit for a few years but this year, his 8th grade year, he seems to be doing great socially and academically. A's and B's so far. There is still some social issues but they are so subtle now. He's mostly just a big teaser especially to his 11 year old sister.:)
Anyway, I just wanted you to know that if you ever need anyone to talk to or vent too, i'm here for you.:)
Take care,
~Salina