Monday, November 26, 2007

Household: 50s magazine fun


I was so excited to go to the mailbox today and find my eBay acquisition, a magazine from 1957 titled "Household". I love old magazines - the ads are often hilarious and the articles and photos provide some interesting looks into another age. I was especially excited to find this period magazine on eBay (I have a couple other issues on their way, yippee!). Ok, so it doesn't take much to excite me. But so you don't feel left out, I will be sharing some gems of wisdom from these magazines. Talk about Nostalgic Homemaking:
From Household (August 1957) - Freezer news
* Custard pies do not freeze well either before or after baking, but pumpkin pies are satisfactory if frozen before they are baked.
* Frozen layer cake batter may be put in the oven directly from the freezer or it may be thawed for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
* Seven-minute frostings become frothy and spongy when frozen.
* Mrs. Lewis Young of New Carlisle Ohio recommends frying frozen corn on the cob in her deep fryer. She defrosts them 3 to 4 hours and frys 2 or 3 ears at one time at 375 degrees for 4 minutes. (I wouldn't try this; I fear exploding corn.)

The Bombe Alaska on the cover just screams Fifties to me. It is so technicolor. I may just have to plan a 50s party and serve this as the big finish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I.Am.So.Jealous.

Lorraine said...

50s parties are awesome because you also get to serve pigs in a blanket and rumaki for appetizers. Not that I intend to eat anything for a week.

paris parfait said...

I love these old magazines. A friend once gave me some Vogue magazines from 1955 and '57. Sadly, they disappeared in one of my many moves.

Anonymous said...

Great Magazine. I am looking for February 1951 copy. Article in there about a recycled house that was built in my town and I work at the local newspaper and want to do an article about it. It still stands and is beautiful. On with the search. Thanks for sharing.
Bonnie