Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Crafty Crochet Tuesday - well, err, sorta, not really


Ok, I'm all thumbs today. Maybe it is because it is Hallow's Eve Eve, or because I've had enough sugar this week to turn my tears to simple syrup. I don't know, but I'm having one of those days. I put WAY too much cinnamon in the applesauce for NR's party tomorrow. The dog has been rampaging the house and I'm too annoyed to deal with it and to top it off, I'm apparently all thumbs when it comes to crocheting.

Why, you may rightfully ask, should someone with as many bedwarmers in the oven as I have, take up another craft. Blame it on the Happy Hooker. No, not that one, this one. I found this gem at the bookstore and had to get it.

My grandmother, bless her, can crochet without even being able to see the yarn. So why can't I master a simple single crochet stitch? I can chain just fine but then all hell breaks loose. I'm chalking it up to the "no good, very bad day" vibe rather than I'm just missing the genetic code that lets my brain tell my fingers what to do with a darn crochet hook.

But don't let my inadequacies keep you from checking out this book. It has some interesting projects and the author's style is engauging (en-gauging, get it? As in yarn stitch gauging? Ah, yarn humor, gotta love it...)
Ok, so I'll round out the day by putting aside the spice-riddled applesauce and the lumpy purple crochet chains and go bash some virtual bad guys in World of Warcraft. Yes, I am that much of a geek. Here's to a better Wednesday!

6 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

We had to come over here and congratulate you on your Haiku win! Have a blessed (and safe) holiday!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Seattle Coffee Girl said...

Maybe I'd better check that book out...I really stink at knitting, so perhaps crocheting is more up my alley?

Happy Halloween to you and your clan! And congrats on the haiku win...loved your entry!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I followed you home from Lorraines house. (oooh! that sounds spooky!)

-Auld Hat

Lorraine said...

Oh, now see...I love that your response to a less than successful day is to play WOW. More an "Age of Empires" gal myself but still.

I learned how to crochet when I was a kid. Which is to say, I can make the longest chain of yarny chain stitch you'd ever wanna see. The rest of it, not so much.

Anonymous said...

I heart the Happy Hooker! I keep thinking I am going to make one of those little clutch bags in it!

more cowbell said...

tears turned to sugar maple - hahaha! I so can not craft a darn thing. But that book almost makes me want to try...