Friday, October 12, 2007

Ok, I gotta rant - organic food prices

Alright, I try to be a good shopper. I try to do the right thing and buy organic foods that are better for the earth and for the table. I'm trying to go green; I bought those reusable grocery bags, I'm hoping Al Gore runs for prez, working on setting up a compost heap. Ok, so my priorities are somewhat in the right place. But holy health food, Batman, how in the world can people afford to purchase organic products on a regular basis? Unless the cash floweth around the house, these babies cost money that I can't afford to spend. I was looking at some eco-friendly toilet cleaner - I know, not exactly a fun way to spend an afternoon - but I nearly dropped its recycled bottle on the floor when I read the price tag of six dollars. Six bucks, for a little tiny bottle. Right up there with the five dollar jar of organic spaghetti sauce, the seven dollar bag of organic wheat flour and the four dollar loaf of whole wheat bread.

I used to say that it was easy to have principles when you were broke. Never had to worry about those pesky diamond mines or the brutality of fur farming. But really, it is harder when you are living simply. It's easier to make ends meet with Kraft Mac and Cheese than organic cheddar and semolina curls. It's easier to keep your family fed on high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated palm oil, yadda yadda yadda, than fresh butter, hormone free milk, unwaxed apples, genetically unaltered corn.

How long do we have to wait for the supposed "supply and demand" theory to help bring the prices down? It's enough to make me plan my own garden to at least get some veggies in the summer. Doesn't help the other ten months of the year in Washington, but it is a start I guess.

Damn it, pass me a twinkie.

No comments: