Friday, October 5, 2007

Mmmm, pie...

Pie. What more perfect food could you conjure up? I just love pie - sweet or savory. Nothing says home like pie to me. Well, make that good pie. There are so many bad pies out there that they can put someone off of pie if they haven't had good pie. Most restaurant pies fall in that category (Marie Callendar's is an exception) and a lot of homemade pies too. Good pies start and end with a great crust. If the filling is good but the crust is tough or flat or just uninspired - forget about it. A good crust is really all that matters in a great pie. Don't get me wrong, fillings matter certainly. But I can forgive many a sin in a filling if the crust is wonderful. And it just so happens, I have found a wonderful crust recipe. It even passed the test with the best pie makers I know - my sister, mom and grandmother. These three have made some of the best pies on the planet (no, I don't exaggerate!) but they loved this pie crust. So what is the secret? Hmmm...should I share it? Should I divulge the holy grail of pastry, the Lost Ark of baked goods? I'll think about it...but in the meanwhile, bake a pie and get into a little slice of heaven. Mmmm, pie. [Update: See "Perfect Pie" post for recipe.]

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Right with you there on the pie thing. And I would be interested in your secret...I have a fool-proof recipe me-self but am always curious to know what other's have up their sleeve.

Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'm so going to poke around here...looks like we have very similar interests and tastes.

I love Jon Stewart, btw.

And I'm so making a pie this weekend.

the fruitfemme said...

Stumbled onto your blog and I am an avid baker but cannot make pie crust to save my life. Would love to know your secret.

Kimberly Ann said...

I'll post the recipe shortly. Just make sure you have plenty of butter on hand! :-)