Thursday, October 4, 2007

Salt Rising Bread

If anyone has tried baking Salt Rising Bread (SRB), I'm curious to hear about your experiences. I've found a good recipe for this wonderful, if tempermental, non-yeast bread. If you haven't tasted it, the flavor is hard to describe but worth seeking out. It is almost cheesy but really that isn't accurate. It is the perfect bread for toast - actually, it isn't all that great for anything that isn't toasted - and I remember the scent and texture from childhood. My first foray into baking this unusual bread gave a mixed result, which considering how difficult it can be to create, didn't bother me at all. I was able to get it to rise and there was a faint smell and flavor of SRB when it finished baking, but I think I can do better. Tomorrow, I try again with a new way to keep the starter warm (it requires 100 degree temperature for 24 hours straight), so if I am successful, I will post the details. For those who have stories to tell about SRB, please post.

No comments: